Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Thing that happened to me today #18

My son Sagan, who will be 2 years old in October, has started to string a few words together. His first sentences. The other night when I was hanging out with him on our bed, about to put him to bed, I asked him if he wanted to go to his bed. His response, "No, daddy bed". It was awesome. Watching the development of a child is a remarkable thing. It is the little things like this that not only make your day, but make you appreciate the wonders of human development.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sagan? Man, I wish my wife had let me get away with that. Named mine Ben. You were, indeed, one of those I thought of when we first considered the name.

Gwydion said...

Ain't it cool? He's a cool kid, too. And his sister's name? Solana, which is Latin for sunshine.

Ben, this is Steve Gimbel, in case you were wondering. You really need to look for his book on Amazon.com -- you'll be proud and impressed :)

Ben Alsop said...

Yep, I knew it was Steve. How are you? Been a long time. Hope all is well. Judging by your blog, which I have been checking out recently, you have been keeping yourself busy and all is well. Sagan was one of the writers that was an early influence on me and I credit him with steering me toward a life in science. So it was fitting to pick a name for my son that was sort of a tribute. Ben, what a great name! So cool to think you thought of me when picking a name, even if it was just a flash memory of days past. I will tell people you named him after me (: I took Solana (3) to her first concert earlier this summer, Dark Star Orchestra, trying to keep the tradition alive. I will definitely pick up a copy of your book, it looks great.

Anonymous said...

Um, I believe it was I who took Solana to her first concert.

No credit in the blog about it either. Sheesh.

-Jonny

Ben Alsop said...

um, read #9, the credit is all there.

Anonymous said...

Sure...sort of. Luckily, "credit", is not I was aiming for? If it were, I'd be upset about the lack of it in #10 too.

The good times were my goal. Mission accomplished.